Since just about everyone else in the Michigan blogosphere has made comments, I figured it was time for me to weigh in on the subject of BOOING. Apparently that took place in large quantities at Michigan Stadium on Saturday.
There is a fine line between being a fan and being an idiot. I find the type of fan that would boo your own players one minute and then cheer loudly for them the next minute to be -- untrustworthy.
A few simple thoughts I would ask you to consider:
1) Booing your favorite college football team in your stadium is not acceptable. These are 18-24 year old kids working their asses off. Yes, your purchased ticket gives you the right, but it is not OK.
2) The players can not tell the difference between booing the coaching and booing their play. That excuse is off the table.
3) It is OK to boo a bad call by the ref and poor sportsmanship.
3) If you feel frustrated with the quality or style of play, I would suggest you talk to the person next you about suggestions for improvement, stand up walk out and get a coke, or yell something constructive like DEEEFENSE or LET'S GO BLUE.
4) You do not know more about football that the current staff of coaches. You may have coached your kids soccer or baseball team, but you do not know more about THIS team at THIS moment.
5) You are not a better football player than the dudes in the cool winged helmets. You may have played in high school or even in college, but you could not play QB better than Steven Threet right now.
If you disagree with me, I assume it is because you have a passionate love for the program. If this is the case, look at it simply as an investment in our future... What recruit in his right mind would want to come to play for a school that has idiotic booing fans when they can choose another place with passionate adoring fans ?
This system re-construction project is going to take a long time. The debate on "is RR the right guy" or "should it have occurred this way" has long past, get over it. In the future, there will be pathetic moments like the first 10 minutes of the Notre Dame game -- AND there will also be glorious moments like the 4th quarter of the Wisconsin game. If you can't take the bumpy ride, do us all a favor and hop off the bandwagon. There will be plenty of room for you when things get better.