One of the more interesting parts of the Michigan - Ohio State game was the chaos that appeared to erupt on the sidelines early in the 1st quarter. At this point Michigan had already intercepted a Pryor pass and missed a FG. The horseshoe crowd was obviously very loud and confusion seemed to setting in.
I promised I would "look at the tape" to figure out what happened. The ABC announcers said it was Charles Stewart (and other defensive players) yelling at the coaches. In my opinion, they were wrong. The players were not yelling at the coaches. Both the players and coaches were yelling at some "dude" on the sideline. I don't know who he is, but he has a Michigan adidas hoodie jacket on and a visible sideline pass.
I have grabbed a couple of video shots and put them in chronological order to explain what I think happened. I have also added the video (which does not show everything in order) so you can judge for yourself.
Edit: I agree with T9 that the "Dude" is Chris Allen, one of the S&C coaches. Now why he was pulling on Stewart's facemask is a question I would like to have answered.
1) Charles Stewart and the "Dude" argue while Ohio State is in the huddle. The "Dude" has his hand on Stewart's facemask and is pulling it.
2) There are already 11 men on the field when Stewart frees his facemask from the "Dude" and starts to run on the field
3) Defensive backs Coach Tony Gibson pulls Stewart off, then calls timeout. Defense team rolls to the sideline.
4) Coach Gibson yells at the "Dude" (guy in the adidas hoodie with the red arrow pointing at him). I have circled in red his sideline pass. RR stares him down. Barwis is pissed.
5) Stewart yells at the "Dude" again during the timeout. Barwis is still pissed.
6) The "Dude" stands quietly during the timeout. Again, I have no idea who this guy is or what he is doing on the sideline. I don't know why he and Stewart were fighting. He is not a member of the Michigan coaching staff as far as I can tell. If anyone knows who he is, please share.
7) Coach Gibson yells something to Mike Barwis. If I had to guess, it was something to the effect of "get that idiot out of here". Barwis nods his head. Someone should figure out if the "Dude" is still alive and/or arrange for his remains to be transported from Columbus.
Edit: We have gotten many (like almost 8,000) hits on this post over the last 36 hours. Several Ohio State and Michigan State boards have linked. Welcome to our horror show guys. Yes, it is clear to me that Barwis yells something back at Gibson, but the way that he nods his head and goes to the now identified Chris Allen -- indicates to me that he is going to take him away. You can read anything you want into the drama that is Michigan football these days. Keep in mind, Barwis and Gibson have worked together for years, I have no doubt Barwis dropped an F-Bomb (I did the same thing) but I also don't believe this was a battle between S&C and the position coaches.
Here is the video. Keep in mind, the fight between Stewart and the "Dude" is not shown until the end. Brian's Dad incorrectly states that it is a battle between the players and coaches.
I think it is important to note, this event did not have any effect on the game. Michigan's defense was playing with passion and speed early on. They were stopping the Buckeyes. It was not until they got worn out (a quarter and half of 3 and outs by your offense will do that) that Ohio State started scoring.