The number of Wolverines still playing in the NFL continues to get smaller each week.
• Pittsburgh LB LaMarr Woodley had 5 tackles and 2 sacks as the Steelers beat the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. LB Larry Foote added 2 tackles. The Steelers are headed to the Super Bowl for the 7th time in franchise history. Congrats to Geoff and all the other Steeler fans that visit here, I hope someday to enjoy that feeling with the Lions.
• The Arizona Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Eagles in an exciting NFC Championship sending WR Steve Breaston, DTs Alan Branch and Gabe Watson, LB Victor Hobson and recently signed TE Jerame Tuman to the Super Bowl. Breaston made one catch for 10 yards and returned punts/kicks for 39 yards. Gabe Watson added 2 tackles. Branch, Hobson, and Tuman did not play. This is the 1st trip to the Super Bowl for the Cardinals franchise.
• The Cardinals win means the season ends one game short for the Philadelphia Eagles Jason Avant and Jon Runyan. Avant had 2 catches for 23 yards and Runyan played a solid Right Tackle despite being hurt with a bum knee.
• We also have some coaches involved. Former Wolverine player and graduate assistant coach Harold Goodwin is the Steelers' assistant offensive line coach. Goodwin was was on the staff for the 1997 National Championship Michigan team. The Cardinals defensive backs coach is Teryl Austin, he was an assistant coach for Lloyd Carr from 1999-2002.
• This is the second Super Bowl for both Foote and Tuman. They both played on the Steelers Super Bowl XL (hosted in Detroit) championship team. This is the first Super Bowl for Woodley, Breaston, Watson, Branch, and Hobson.