Warning: The buckeyes in this video are the chocolate version, not the actual thing.
We all know that eating an actual buckeye would result in a slow and painful death.
The shiny, brown-and-tan nut of the Ohio buckeye tree, Aesculus glabra — is poisonous. Buckeye nuts contain toxic chemicals: glycosides, saponins and possibly alkaloids. The leaves and sprouts are toxic, too, especially in early spring. If the chemicals are ingested — taken into the body by eating — the ingester may get terribly sick with stomach, intestinal or nervous-system problems. Vomiting, muscle spasms, coma and even death may result.