Other than Chris Spielman's four Pro Bowls with the Lions -- I can't think of another Buckeye or Wolverine that has made a professional football difference for "the other side".
There was a nice article about the former Wolverine and current Cleveland Brown this weekend on foxsports.com. It looks like his NFL career started on the same rocky path that defined his first two seasons at Michigan. It also appears that he has gotten his act together both on and off the football field. Although I have never been a fan of the Browns - I do cheer for them now because of #17.
On the field: Last year Braylon led the Browns in receptions (80), yards (1,289) and touchdowns (16). The Browns finished the season a respectable 10-6 record and he made his first visit to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. It is interesting to note that Braylon is the only member of the NFL draft class of 2005 "Top 10" to make a real impact in the NFL so far.
Off the field: In addition to the highly publicized #1 Jersey scholarship program to the Michigan Athletic Department, Braylon has made a positive impact on the local community. Last year his foundation made a $1 million donation toward helping 100 Cleveland-area eighth-graders receive a college education in addition to other charitable programs in both Detroit and Cleveland.Unlike Carson Palmer -- Braylon recognizes the fact that he collects his paycheck in Ohio and does not antagonize the natives. Some would say that he embraces them...
As energized Browns fans broke into Ohio State’s signature “O-H-I-O” sing-a-long, raising their arms overhead to form each letter in the fourth quarter, Edwards, a Michigan Man through and through, joined in.
“I was definitely doing it,” Edwards admitted. “This is Ohio. This is my residence. This is where I play football. This is where I earn my paycheck. This is the city I’ve adopted and the one that has adopted me. I don’t mind doing O-H-I-O. I don’t believe it just pertains to Ohio State.“Cleveland,” he said, “is in Ohio.”
4 comments:
Steve Everitt - huge fan favorite after wearing a browns bandana under his ravens helmet as a salute to browns' fans.
great player and might have gone to a pro bowl here.
Len Ford made the Hall of Fame as a Cleveland Brown
Thom Darden was also great for the Brownies in the 70's
On the toss of the coin, Speilman and Dick LeBeau were the only Buckeyes to amount to anything in Detroit.
Oh yes, I forgot about Everitt. I'll never forget the time his jaw got broken during the Notre Dame game. Blood was pouring out of his mouth.
Being probably the closest to Cleveland of the loyal followers I will add that originally when Edwards was drafted people were like "fuck Edwards." Apparently the hatred for MI outweighed the overall impact that a player of his caliber could lend to the Browns. Now that he has had a good uninjured season they now sing his praises and loyal Buckeye fans are wearing his Browns jersey. I am often asked how I can be wearing an Edwards Browns jersey and a MI hat at the same time and I am always quick to point out to the dumb dumbs that Edwards went to MI.
it hasn't been easy as a cleveland fan lately as far as seeing our enemies drafted by the browns (winslow, quinn, braylon) and our buckeyes drafted by our enemies (troy smith, santonio holmes)
eventually though their talents in brown and orange overcome our initial hatred - although mostly because they are doing and saying the right things. if braylon pulled that carson palmer shit, i doubt he'd start to become beloved as quickly as he is - although truth be told, in braylon's case, a number of crucial drops against the buckeyes in big games already started a soft spot in our hearts for him.
Post a Comment