Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wallpaper Wednesday: One second left...

No real explanation is needed for this addition in our Wallpaper Wednesday series.

The final play of the 2005 Michigan Penn State game was simply one of the most thrilling moments in Michigan Stadium history and one of the best football images you will ever see. You can watch the touchdown here.

Every Penn State fan I know is still pissed.

11 comments:

whetstonebuck said...

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan Wolverines athletic director Bill Martin says football coach Rich Rodriguez has his full support, despite a 2-4 record and three home losses -- including an upset loss last week to Toledo.

Is this the Bowden Bossa Nova; the Tubberville Tango?

Press releases like the above never bode well.

Bigasshammm said...

The only reason the press released was released at all is because psychotic fans are screaming for RRs head when the season is half over. What's wrong with society today is that everyone expects to get everything the way they want it when they want it and when they don't they get pissy. I blame Burger King.

TitleIX said...

love the visual!
when I first saw it I thought it was a photo, but upon further review the cartoon/anime characteristics became apparent.

dunno how you did that but COOL!!!!

surrounded in columbus said...

Whets,
not too sure it was a "release". you're right- the dreaded vote of confidence press release- is never good.

however, this sounds far more like a response to a specific question. the D News article quote reads like he's answering the question- "does R2 have your backing still?" or similar nonsense, to which he answers "yes".

not exactly the same thing as issuing a stand alone release to announce the issue.

LMK if you find something to the contrary.

whetstonebuck said...

"LMK if you find something to the contrary"

It was in the Big 10 area on ESPN.

The statement made me laugh due to Bowden's mid-season departure and Tubberville's OC getting the pink slip two days after getting "full support."

Anyway, I don't take this seriously so early in RR's tenure. I agree with Hammster about our impatient culture.

Looks like the long knives are out for Fulmer at Tenn.

From the back-burner dept.:

I hope you all beat Penn St. for obvious reasons, but I would be worried about PSU piling on the points out of frustration over the nine year drought. If they get up on you early look out. JoePa might have trouble turning down the momentum.

surrounded in columbus said...

whets
my apologies for not being clearer.

i don't doubt that he said he backed R2 still. it's in the Freep & D News. what i questioned was the format and setting of the statement. specifically, that he had not made some sort of "release" on his own, but had merely been answering a question.

the unsolicited "i'm behind him all the way" statement issuance is a very bad thing and a harbinger of doom.

however, that's not what i read in either paper or the ESPN reference. what it sounded like to me is that Martin was being interviewed, was specifically asked about R2, and then gave the "i'm still behind him" answer printed in the press.

if he gets asked that question, what else is he going to say? however, that's a big difference from the AD (or NFL owner) coming out of no where to issue a gratuitous statement of support.

sort of like the Clempson rumor. Brown announced that R2 had no interest in the job AFTER the reporter called him up and asked him if R2 had any interest in the job. that's not the same as Brown calling a press conference on his own to announce that R2 had no interest in the job.

the first is the answer to a question. the latter is the announcement that R2 has a second house for sale.

srudoff said...

man, now your football players are putting your hockey stars in intensive care? and the hockey player had his back completely turned to Milano when he was attacked

weak

surrounded in columbus said...

actually, if you ever saw how small milano really is, you'd be impressed. he got in on some mop up last year (he's listed as 5'7" but he's not that tall) and stood next to Jake Long in the huddle (who's a full foot taller). it was a tad comical.

whetstonebuck said...

SiC,

I got it. That's why I listed the source as a back page on ESPN. Of course it was in answer to a question. If it had been Martin coming out of no where, I would have been a bit more alarmist. If it were unsolicited, you all would have heard it long before I found that quote.

I threw that quote up against the clubhouse wall to get some discussion going. It worked. I'm happy. Nice to see everyone. Weather here is in the mid-80s and sunny. Eat your heart out.

Andy said...

Just got back from a business trip to Chicago. All the Illini fans I met have forgotten all about beating Michigan because they lost to the Golden Gophers.

Isn't college football great !?

Merrick 561 said...

The real question is are they pissed about that particular incident, or the fact that they have a 9 game losing streak against the maize and blue?