Congrats to the Iowa Hawkeyes for the impressive showing last night in the Orange Bowl. The win ensured the Big Ten will have a winning record in bowl games this year. Personally I don't think conference bowl records mean anything, but maybe it will silence the Big Ten football critics for a couple of weeks. If you consider the conference was a FG away from winning 2 more bowl games (Minnesota and Northwestern) things are looking much better than they were a year ago. It is safe to say that Sparty was the only dark spot in an otherwise good bowl season.Not many people remember, but Iowa was a miracle (in the form of two blocked FGs in a row) away from an Appy State like meltdown in the first game of the season against Northern Iowa. The Hawks dominated the entire game at the line of scrimmage against Georgia Tech. I am biased, but I think Navy runs the option attack better than the Yellow Jackets. It would be interesting to see if they could do better against the Iowa D. I do not look forward to seeing Mr Clayborn next year in Michigan Stadium.
Speaking of impressive, how about that fake FG attempt by Iowa in the 4th quarter ? The flip from the holder to the kicker was as innovative as I have ever seen. He essentially got off his knee before he caught the snap and flipped it thru his legs to the slow (but sprinting kicker). It did not work, but it still as awesome. Watching the play made me ponder two things:
1) Why do the refs not blow most fake FGs dead when the kneeling holder catches the ball ? He is technically down.
and
2) Why do the refs not call intentional grounding when a team spikes the football to stop the clock ? The QB is still inside the tackle box and the ball never makes it past the line of scrimmage.

15 comments:
Here's to Texas winning 24-20 in the BCS game.
I too have pondered about spikes and FGs... Perhaps someone else can look it up as I wasted all my free time going trough scenarios yesterday.
If I did this correctly there are still three scenarios.
If CMU and Alabama both win, there will be five of us with 4-1 records and it will come down to the total points. (Andy, Hemlock, GoBlueBob, Mikoyan and HMBfossil)
If either one of those two teams lose, there will be a three way tie. (Andy, Hemlock and either GoBlueBob or Mikoyan)
If both of them lose it will be between Andy and Hemlock.
My bad on the original post on the 4-1 potentials.
It will come down to the BCS points.
Since I can do anything I want (as long as T9 agrees) if I win, the sidebar will not change but I might change the site logo to celebrate my dominance.
"If both of them lose it will be between Andy and Hemlock."
Wait just a Care Bear minute. In the big scheme of things aren't we all winners?
Yeah, just as I thought. Okay, everyone move in...GROUP HUG!!
A side bar note should be added for Zoltan's Heroes winner of the inaugural Spawn Fantasy Football Challenge.
Good idea Hammm. I am working on a project right now that should help. More to come.
Of course, Andy, when Bama and Texas don't score 67 points in the final, you can feel free to change the site background to a picture of Socrates to reflect my fundamental insights into bowl prognostication ;-)
Hemlock.... it took me awhile but I think I found the rule for the holder not being down on a field goal or try for point. This is excerpt from the 2009 rules.
Ball Declared Dead
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle
or declare it dead:
b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches
the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses
possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his
body, except his hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when
an offensive player has simulated a kick or is in position to kick the ball
held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or
advanced by rule] (A.R. 4-1-3-I).
I am still working on the other one.
Hemlock and Andy (since you first brought this up). I found the other rule for spiking a pass. Check out d. below. It looks like it is okay as long as the spiked pass is done immediately. I guess this is what would make it different than intentional grounding.
Illegal Forward Pass
ARTICLE 2. A forward pass is illegal:
a. If thrown by a Team A player whose entire body is beyond the neutral
zone when he releases the ball [S35 and S9].
b. If thrown by a Team B player or if thrown by a Team A player after team
possession has changed during the down [S35].
c. If it is the second forward pass by Team A during the same down [S35
and S9].
d. If, to conserve time, the pass is not thrown immediately after the ball is
first controlled after the snap or is thrown after the ball has touched the
ground. If, to conserve time, the pass is thrown where no eligible Team A
player has a reasonable opportunity to catch it (A.R. 7-3-2-II-VIII) [S35
and S9].
e. If thrown from in or behind the neutral zone after a ball carrier in
possession of the ball has gone beyond the neutral zone [S35 and S9].
PENALTY—Five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down if by
Team A before team possession changes during a scrimmage
down (A.R. 3-4-3-IV and A.R. 7-3-2-II) [S35 and S9].
f. If, to save loss of yardage, a forward pass is thrown where no eligible
Team A player has a reasonable opportunity to catch it. When in
question, the Team A player has a reasonable opportunity to catch the
pass (A.R. 7-3-2-I) [S36 and S9].
[Exception: It is not a foul when the passer, who is or has been outside
the tackle box, throws the ball so that it crosses or lands beyond the neutral
zone or neutral zone extended (Rule 2-19-3) (A.R. 7-3-2-IX)].
PENALTY—Loss of down at the spot of the foul [S36 and S9].
Andy rules. Especially since he got to this topic to post before I could.
One thing about last night's game that baffled me...
why would the RB who racked up 1 yard total win the FedEx Ground Game award, when the frosh RB from Iowa cracked 100?????
makes no sense....
Big 10 haters !
At least Central won their bowl game.
Two words T9...
Participation medal.
Fedex is stupid.
I think the award was given for one play - not the MVP of the game.
The TD run by Georgia Tech's RB was a big deal to the guys on TV because that same player scored 2 touchdowns in the Orange Bowl a couple of years ago when he played for Louisville.
And it was a big deal to GT.
The offense made halftime adjustments and was starting to work. That TD made the score 17-14.
And that was the point in the game where I was starting to get nervous.
My comment was just me being snarky in the "afterglow."
Post a Comment