His life was gentle, and the elements
So mixed in him that Nature might stand up
And say to all the world, 'This was a man!'
~ William Shakeseare. Julius Ceasar
I was 9 years old when John Wooden retired from coaching. When I played junior high school basketball, we ran Wooden's UCLA offense. When I played high school basketball, we ran Wooden's UCLA offense. When I watch basketball today at all levels from YMCA rec ball to the NBA, they still run that offense. Rest in Peace Coach.
2 comments:
I took my two oldest sons to the Rose Bowl in 1991 and we went to the UCLA campus and into the basketball arena. My sons still talk about seeing all of those banners hanging from the ceiling. There will never be another run like UCLA had back then and Wooden was the reason for it. He had great players but it was his systems that made them great.
I got to meet Coach Wooden about ten years ago at a UCLA basketball game. He was just sitting there quietly during halftime and my friend and I walked over and shook his hand. Even though he had never seen or met us, he smiled and greeted us like we were old friends. Nothing phony or big-time about the man.
Post a Comment