Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Wallpaper Wednesday: Little Brown Jug

This week I focus our Wallpaper Wednesday feature on the oldest Trophy in college football.

The Little Brown Jug traces its roots back to 1903. The Wolverines traveled to Minnesota with a 28-game winning streak. Michigan head coach Fielding Yost questioned whether the Gophers would be able provide fresh water and sent manager Tommy Roberts to purchase a jug for the team to bring its own fresh water to the game. With the Wolverines up 6-0, Minnesota rallied to tie the game with less than two minutes left. The Gopher fans, so elated at the tied score, rushed the field and forced the officials to call the game at 6-6. Michigan, in its haste to leave and catch a train back to Chicago, forgot the five-gallon jug on the sidelines. When asked to return the jug, Minnesota claimed that "if Michigan wanted the jug they would have to win it back". We've done it 65 times since.

9 comments:

TitleIX said...

GREAT image.

although....the jug may get left behind again ;-(

surrounded in columbus said...

so, if they win this year, will da Gofer's plant their flag in the middle of their "M" this time???

Bigasshammm said...

Sandy: I want you to kill every gophers on the golf course!
Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...
Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool! Gophers! The *little* *brown*, *furry* *rodents* -!
Carl Spackler: We can do that; we don't even have to have a reason. All right, let's do the same thing, but with gophers -!

GoBlueBob said...

Andy, If Minnesota wins this game I am fully expecting some healing picks using the "brown jug(s)" theme.

Andy said...

Amen Bob.

Bigasshammm said...

I think in support of breast cancer they should play for pink jugs!

Andy said...

I think I have found my special purpose this weekend.

GoBlueBob said...

Brown jug(s) and tiny pink lace would go great together.


WV: surph / reminds me of California beachs or eating in a restaurant (surph and turph???)

GoBlueBob said...

If we loose the jug this year we will not be able to win it back until 2011 since it is time for Minnesota to rotate off the schedule for two years. I just thought of this and verified it on my future schedule. RR might be gone by then and never get to appreciate what the jug means to Michigan. I should not be so hard on RR and was willing to give him a chance and some time to develop the team but I can never forgive him for losing to Toledo. I just had another weird thought.... Michigan is now on the "soup nazi - no soup for you!" list. After all, it is hard to have soup without a "bowl". Sorry everyone, I know that is very lame but it just struck me and I had to say it. Gotta get back to work now.