A quick review of my keys to the game will tell the happy tale: again, looking for improvement not perfection:
- Fewer Turnovers--5 fumbles, only 1 lost on our side, and get this--NO INTs. Victory, relatively of course.
- Shore up the Pass Defense--Previously giving up 12.1 yds/catch. Yesterday? up to 13.2 yds/completion. And unfortunately allowed an average 6.1 yds/rush, way up from the 2.1 previously. On the plus side? Penn State had "only" 482 offensive yards total for the game...........Ok, nevermind. The defense is sad. So, I'm still calling out Scott Shafer on this one and the usual suspects: Trent, Brown, Warren, et al.
AND now Brandon Graham has gone and done this: "We're going to come out, we're going to work hard this week because I don't think we're going to ever lose to State. I feel like we're not going to lose to State because we're not going to lose to State. We're going to work hard and we're going to win." uh-oh
- Pressure their QB--whoa-hoa: 3 sacks for a loss of 17 yards. Mo' betta
- More takeaways--No INTs but 1 of their 3 fumbles recovered by us. Not too shabby but still lots of work to do here, of course.
- Improved 3rd down percentage--hard to compute since we were 4/15 for the entire game (26.66666%) but 3/8 (37.5%) with Threet in for the first half. Whaddid I say?? Huh? Over 35% we can get the offense moving. Hmmm 37.5% in the first half and we go in with the lead.....I'm just sayin'....
- Better QB Performance--Much better job, check out Threet's line: 13-9-0, 84, 0, 28, 2 Andy is dead on here, without a QB to lead the offense there is no TOP, no way to keep the defense off the field, minimal psychological momentum for us, and no hope for the spread. Everyone pray for elbow healing this week. And new recruits?
BEAT (POSER) SPARTY