Thursday, February 12, 2009

McGuffie Night Ranger ReMix


Why is it that every high school football star highlight video I watch is made with thumping rap music in the soundtrack ? Why doesn't anyone use the sweet sound of 80's power rock ?

I recently learned that my friend GSimmons85 (from the football coaching blog THREE AND OUT) was a big Night Ranger fan. So I dedicate this remix to him.

He and I share the perspective that these "highlight films" are nothing more than exceptional high schoolers overpowering other less exceptional high schoolers and give no real indication on how anyone will do in college. Anyone that watches one of these things and feels like they can project how someone will do in D1 football I present to you the McGuffie Night Ranger ReMix. For the last several years, the McGuffie Mix tape was the defacto standard when it came to exceptional high school athletes owning other high schoolers. It has captured almost 3 million views. The reality hit me shortly after watching Sam last year on the field with other exceptional college football players. This is Texas 5A football, one of the highest levels of high school football in the country. Sam is beyond good, but as you watch this keep in mind how he did in 2008 for Michigan.

8 comments:

Bigasshammm said...

That's a rough statement to say about the kid though. Who's to say that Mcguffie with Henne and Long at QB and OT wouldn't have been outstanding? Yes he was small for his size and no I don't think he ever would have truly made it as a RB in BT football but he is still damn gifted football player. Especially when they released him long. With the proper coaching he will be an outstanding D1 player I think. All the best to him.

gsimmons85 said...

freekin awesome,


that is the greatest thing this insignificant blog has ever done!!!

if it doesnt stay on the front page for at least a year, i will be pissed...

haha, great job...

TitleIX said...

no matter the soundtrack, it sure looks like the kid has skills.

not the right fit here at Michigan, I will continue to wish him all the best and cheer for him in his D1 career.
He's like the next Justin Fargas in my mind. Great kid, didn't work out here, happy to see him thrive somewhere else.

and big props to the 80s big hair rock bands. woot woot

616goblue said...

T9 and Andy,

I have an appointment with "Dr. Feelgood" tomorrow on Friday the 13th here in the 616.

I will "Shout at the Devil" with all of the "Red Hot" moms who are dressed up like "Girls, Girls, Girls" who are taking a walk on "The Wild Side" for a night. Methinks the aforementioned Hot Moms will be a "Live Wire."

Amen I can afford a taxi to get "Home Sweet Home" after the Motley Crue concert.

I'm just saying...

Andy said...

Please don't get me wrong -- this is no smack down of McGuffie. He is an incredible athlete with speed and agility that most only dream of. I just wish he had a better team to play with last year. I am sure he will make some sportscenter highlights at Rice and I will root for him always.

The point is... high school highlight "films" mean nothing when it comes to projection at the next level. They are simply entertainment for the fans and ego boosters for the kids. Any coach that looks at something like this and says "Wow, I need to recruit that kid" needs to have his head recycled.

And it is good to get some 80s rock in the blogosphere every once in a while.

gsimmons85 said...

Andy,

i agree they are mostly fluff. But colleges still like hihglight films for intiall contact purposes, but before they get real serious they want to see 1 or 2 full game films, un editied... usually...

Andy said...

I can see college coaches asking for "game film". That makes a lot of sense.

ohio_guy said...

"Please don't get me wrong -- this is no smack down of McGuffie"

no...but this was:

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/2008_2009/Football/08-11-22-FB-0816.jpg