Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wallpaper Wednesday: Michigan Panthers

We are only a couple of weeks away from the spring football game. Ahhh, spring football... what a novel idea. For those of you old enough to remember, there was a spring football league for a couple of seasons in the mid 1980's. It was called the United States Football League. I was a big Michigan Panther fan back in the day. Primarily because they had Anthony Carter AND they had the best looking helmets in professional football. I remember the night they won the inaugural USFL Championship game like it was yesterday. Good times.

9 comments:

616goblue said...

During the championship season, I was at the home playoff game in the Silverdome against the Oakland Invaders which set an attendance record for the team and league with a crowd between 60,000 and 65,000.

After the Panthers won, the goal posts were torn down. My older brother and I helped carry them out of the Silverdome.

A GREAT teenage memory.

Andy said...

I recently purchased a DVD copy of that 1983 Oakland playoff game. Very fun to watch again.

Mikoyan said...

Why can't the Lions do that?

ohio_guy said...

there is a "new USFL" in the works. They were originally planning to start in the spring of 2010, but now I see it's been pushed back to the spring of 2011

Andy said...

I have seen the new USFL web site.

Also, the Arena Football League is coming back soon. I see there is a team in Cleveland this time around.

Bigasshammm said...

There was an arena team in Cleveland before wasnt there? Doesn't mean I'll go to a game though.
zzzzzz

Andy said...

I am going to make an effort to give the AFL another chance. In the past, I just have not paid any attention.

ohio_guy said...

The Cleveland Galdiators came from Las Vegas in 2008 (yes, a team actually moved from Las Vegas to Cleveland.) They made it as far as the conference finals during that first year in Cleveland.

Then the 2009 season was canceled and the old AFL collapsed.

This new AFL is currently made up of 6 of the old AFL teams, 7 afl2 teams and 2 expansion teams (the afl2 was the AFL's minor league). The Cleveland Gladiators are one of the 6 AFL teams returning, while teams like the Columbus Destroyers and Grand Rapids Rampage are defunct.

616goblue said...

When the Grand Rapids Rampage won the ArenaBowl title here in the 616, I was there at the sold out Van Andel Arena--it was one of the most electric events I have ever attended.

The Grand Rapids Rampage 2001 ArenaBowl Champions.